Sending SMS messages to clients is a quick and easy way to keep them up to date with their accounts as well as sending reminders and announcements. In this article, we will take you through the process of setting up your SMS Integration. To then learn how to send and receive SMS's, click through to our Correspondence Register article.
Which providers do integrate with for SMS?
Currently, AccountKit only integrates with Twilio, however, there are plans to integrate with more SMS providers in the future. If you would like to see an integration with your SMS provider please send a feature request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To send SMS messages through AccountKit, you will need to create a Twilio account and purchase a number. This process can be achieved through the Twilio website at https://www.twilio.com.
NOTE: Some countries must adhere to local regulations and as such Twilio require you to provide identity documentation to purchase a number. To find out if you need to provide documentation in your country go to
Once you have created an account and purchased a number and have had your documentation verified (if required) you can follow the steps below to connect.
- Click your name in the top right-hand corner > Click Practice Settings
- Go to the Integrations tab
- Under 'Communications Settings' header look for Twilio
- Click and you will see a new screen pop up.
- The information required in this screen can be found on the dashboard of your Twilio account.
- Copy and paste the Account SID into AccountKit, Click 'Show' to show the Auth Token, then copy and paste that into AccountKit also.
- Then copy and Paste the pre-purchased active number from the list into AccountKit. To find this go the # section on the left-hand menu.
- Copy the phone number that you've purchased, including the area code.
- With all details populated, now press the [CONNECT] button, which will then verify the details.
- Your integration should now look like this:
Set your defaults
Now that you have a number, you can optionally set the following defaults
- Business Name: This is only used where you want the message to be labeled with something other than the mobile number. In doing so the message will become one way meaning the client will NOT be able to respond. Leave this field blank if you're wanting to receive messages back from your clients into AccountKit
- Signature: Much like an email, this is a short set of text that all messages will be signed off with. For example, the name of your practice or business name.
That's it! You're now good to send and receive SMS from the Correspondence Register. Review how to send messages from within the Correspondence Register support page.
Other features and functions
Deleting or changing your mobile number must be done in Twilio. First, you must disconnect from Twilio by clicking the button.
On the Twilio dashboard, Click on the header in the left-hand column and then click the number you wish to change or delete.
Scroll to the bottom and click 'Release this Number'
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do you only support Twilio?We ended up choosing Twilio as our provider for a number of reasons:
- It provided the ultimate in flexibility to create all manner of other telecommunication based tools within AccountKit.
- The ease of which one can set up and administer a mobile account just for SMS
- The price was very reasonable both for line rental and message sending and receiving.
Will you support other SMS providers?We're presently happy with the service and rates provided by Twilio, but should the demand be there, we'll certainly be happy to support other providers.
|Practice Settings - Integrations||Head to practice settings for the steps to enable this integration.|
|Shared Elements (Eg. Action Menu)||Check out this link for various elements shared throughout the various toolsets.|
|Correspondence Register||Check out this link for all your correspondence register help|