Connecting AccountKit to Slack brings new levels of communication within your practice by pushing events and correspondence register entries to a channel or person of choice within your connected Slack organisation. Before you start, it's worth getting agreement within your business as to whether you want yet more information coming at you. It can be overwhelming, so we recommend only turning on a couple initially and confirm it's value and use within the organisation before rolling it through the different areas as they're made available.
Have a user with practice administrator user permissions enter Practice Settings
- Go to the Integrations tab
- Look under the "Communication Settings" heading
- Select the Connect Button within the Slack integration area
- Review the permissions and press Authorise.
|If you happen to be part of multiple Slack workspaces, ensure you have the correct workspace selected. Note that you can only connect one Slack workspace to AccountKit.|
Select your defaults
Now that you have connected Slack to your organisation you need to choose the default behaviours. Your options will be limited initially, but over time we add new triggers that you can elect to turn on.
- Expand the settings for the integration by selecting the icon
- Work your way through each AccountKit tool and the applicable slack triggers and identify those that you would like to receive notifications about or from.
- NOTE: Presently only the correspondence register has been enabled.
- For those that you would like to activate, simply identify the default channel to be used.
- Specific to the correspondence register, you can select a default behaviour for messages:
- Email (only) - This is the default behaviour; Make sure to NOT set a default channel here or then in the correspondence register, you need to leave it blank.
- Slack (only) - By default all messages will only go to the selected channel or direct. No email will be sent.
- Email + Slack - By default all messages will go to both the recipient's email + the selected slack channel or user.
|If the slack channel is left empty, and the slack / email option is not selected, NO message will be sent. Seems obvious, but it's an easy oversight.|
Utilising the Slack Integration
Now that you have authorised Slack, you will notice that there are some new fields that will have appeared throughout AccountKit. But first, it's worth noting that there are two distinct types of interactions you will have through the integration:
- User triggered - This is where a user consciously chooses to send a notification to slack from within AccountKit, such as from the correspondence register.
- System triggered [TBD] - This is where the Practice Administrator has enabled automatic notifications in relation to certain tools when a trigger event has occurred - for example, the equipment finance tool can be set up to send a notification to a specific channel when a schedule comes to an end.
- The share with area will reveal a new slack option.
- By utilising this, any correspondence (such as phone messages or meeting notes) will go to the applicable channel. By default, it will go to the #channel identified in practice settings.
- You can override the default and instead elect to direct message a correspondence entry to another user.
- Much like the email sent from this register, you will have an option to click through to AccountKit with all the details required to return a call or review a full file note.
- Within Slack you'll immediately see a message similar to the below; Selecting Record Summary to be redirected back into AccountKit with all of the relevant details already filled in.
Equipment Finance and other tools
- [TBD] to come - potentially may be superseded by a future customisable notification system.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I disconnect Slack?
Head back to your practice settings and simply press the Disconnect button.
Why haven't you done a notification for "x" function or tool?
The options are endless as to how we can utilise Teams to send out notifications. We've chosen those we believe will be of use without overwhelming your communication channels. Having said that, we are assessing a more flexible system where you can create rules around notifications, so you can create your own without us explicitly creating every combination available.
Why Slack and Teams and not one of the other options out there?
Our intent is to support as many providers as we can, but we'll always start with those that look to be dominating within the accountants eco-sphere and that make the process easy to implement. If we get enough enquiries for a specific integration, we'll add it to the list.
|Practice Settings - Integrations||Head to practice settings for the steps to enable this integration.|
|Shared Elements (Eg. Action Menu)||Check out this link for various elements shared throughout the various toolsets.