12 April 2018
The new year is already so far behind in the rear view mirror, but still we continue to refine and add new things to bolster the tools at your disposal...
It's all about the polish:
- Fixed an issue when utilising the "Create a copy" option within Actions.
- Optimised the loading of the right menu when selecting entities.
- Simplified the relationships in the client details in the right menu; Options now available via the 3 dot menu.
- Fixed an issue where new diagrams will show changes to review;
- Changed method for selecting whether to accept changes into the current diagram along a refresh icon and direct linking to clients with changes.
- Fixed issues with line start / end selection being cut off.
- Where effective date isn't set, it would appear as 01/01/1900, but shouldn't appear at all.
- Fixed some issues with the individual groups.
- New ability to copy and TFN or ABN direct from the people search.
- We continue to refine the populating of the masked TFN's upon an import of the ATO lodgement list. It's getting better and more robust, but shall continue to evolve each coming week.
- Started rolling through some simplifications to the visuals of the registers; We hide checkboxes and action icons until you mouse-over the applicable row.
- Added an explanation dialogue before you commence syncing data with Xero to ensure there's a clear understanding about what's happening and time frame to be expected before you can utilise the applicable tools.
- Fixed an issue when dragging and dropping files into the registers in relation to Firefox and Microsoft browsers where the page would freeze or not taken on custom colours.
- Various refinements to the ATO import process.
- Added a print option to the correspondence register data entry area.
- Various refinements around the PDF and pop-up with the correspondence register.
- In the backend we've been refining the methods for syncing data from Xero to better handle high loads where many xero files are being synced at the same time. This has been causing syncs to freeze in the orange downloading state.
19 March 2018
In the lead up to Accounting Business Expo, we've applied lots 'o polish and shine...
[NEW] Business Name Register
- First edition of this has just been released tonight; It is in Beta, but will be out by the end of the week.
- Enables you to save multiple business names to the one client, then track the history and renewals for all your clients in one place;
- Other areas of change are that you can search by business name in the top people menu and the "trading as" now appears on the client list and family group pages.
- Enabled the Sandbox Mode.
- Increased the resolution of the PNG output and associated image quality of the PDF
- Rolled through further changes around first name last name of individuals;
- Fixed lots of bugs around entity selection issues and relationships.
- Removed the scroll bars for the entities and entity edit - you can still use your scroll wheel on your mouse to move the fields up and down.
- Hidden the relationships menus in a context sensitive menu to free up some space.
- Fixed a bug where shapes with text were missing the carriage return gap.
- Fixed some bugs and optimised the selection of shapes and lines.
- With TFN's being masked upon import from XPM, you can elect to fix this by importing the ATO lodgement list from the Dashboard where we'll match the masked TFN's with the client name compared to the ATO list and update the TFN in AccountKit accordingly. In future you'll be able to carry out these updates in the XPM Sync report as well. Please note that this is still undergoing refinements and will continue to do so over the coming month.
- We've introduced a small go-to link for the ABN and ACN fields that enables you to jump straight to the applicable ABR or ASIC register entry for that client.
- Various fixes to the Correspondence Register where the attendees and apologies weren't displaying correctly.
- Added the requirement for the old password to be entered before a new password could be entered within a users settings.
- Rolled through updates to help links to the new Zendesk support centre.
- Fixed a bug with the Equipment Finance where the conversion date would sometimes update the contract date.
- Lots of work refining the XPM sync exceptions report; This will be released very soon.
5 March 2018
Despite the Christmas break, it's been a busy couple of months as follows...
- Now have a full screen mode for ease of editing and demonstrating to clients.
- Lots of bug fixes around select / de-selecting objects and entities
- Option to hide and show archived entities.
- Change individuals to show first name last name.
2 Factor Authentication (2FA)
- First edition of this has been released to the public; Enable it as mandatory across your practice from the Practice Administration page or on a per team member basis from their user settings.
- This will become mandatory for all accounting firms from early March.
Inter-Entity Reconciliation v2.1 [Beta]
- Various refinements to the capturing and displaying of voided entries between multiple inter-entity loans (more to come)
- We now have direct links for journals, bills and invoices so you can click straight through to the applicable transaction in Xero from within the Inter-entity loan tool.
- Where post journals between Xero files, if you reconciled multiple entries via journals at the same time, voiding one voided all of the other journals posted at the same time. This is no longer the case (just for journals though).
- Updated the visuals for the IEL's within the client group page to be consistent with the main tool page.
- Various other visual and performance refinements to the journal entry pop-up.
- Dynamic search for the various client look-up fields; This is especially noticeable where you have up to 10,000 clients and more which was impacting performance, especially on the registers.
- Improvements to the detail within the History & Notes sections of the Mail and Correspondence Registers.
- Fixed an issue where the franking register would output a corrupt PDF.
- You can now archive whole client groups and their entities from the Client Group action menu.
- Fixed a bug where a change of bulk addresses in AccountKit wouldn't all flow through to XPM.
- International date format rolled through further areas of the client pages.
- Fixed an issue where Google Team Drives won't appear.
- Added Xero status icon to the equipment finance schedule and list page.
- Added a new "Invite AccountKit Support" to the help menu so you can jot a minor note and give our support team the ability to login for a closer look at any issues you may be having.
- Added a new standard ATO type for superannuation funds to align structure types with XPM.
- Fixed a bug when syncing a Xero file, it never leaves the "in-progress" orange status.
21 December 2017
It's been a long time since we've updated, so strap in, there's a lot that's happened this past few months.
History & Notes v0.99
- There's a new history and notes section at the bottom of each entry within the Mail and Correspondence Register.
- The history lines track any changes made by users and time stamps them along with what was changed. The only catch here is that we don't capture exactly what has changed within the content of the detailed description field given the volume of content capable of being saved. All other fields you can see the before and after.
- You can add notes at any time in case you need to describe why a change was made if it's not clearly evident from the history.
- There is more yet to be done, and once polished it shall slowly be rolled out across a majority of the tools.
XPM Sync Refinements and Exceptions V0.99
- There's a new exceptions report that is available each morning now. Overnight we run a check to see what differences exist between our client data and XPM and highlight where there are any differences to be resolved.
- The report enables you in most instances to correct the differences from within the report itself, or you can go directly to the applicable client in XPM or AccountKit to make any changes, then refresh the exception to update.
- We've enabled syncing of contacts, but we're finding that there's a lot of duplicated client info in contacts, so we're assessing the best way of handling this so that you're not having to maintain client details in multiple cases - this will be an ongoing saga.
- Conceptually this is getting AK ready for integrating with other platforms such as Class, NowInfinity (client data), BGL etc.
- During this process, there has been a lot of bug fixes and optimisations completed along the way.
Inter-Entity Reconciliation v2.1 [Beta]
This has gone through significant changes in the backend and front end;
- It's now super fast to select, reconcile and unreconcile. Posting entries to Xero can be a touch slower at times, but it's come a long way since the Alpha release at Xerocon
- The only catch is that once you have connected a client Xero file, you need to let the initial sync finish before you can start to use it.
- Once synced, choose the accounts you want to reconcile between (including multiple accounts) and assuming they balance at the date you've chosen to start, you're on your way.
- You can now add a description in case you have multiple inter-entity loans between the same two clients.
- Handling of tracking categories
- Handling of changed or voided reconciled entries.
- The number of unreconciled entries shows on the list page and in the tab of each inter-entity loan.
- We now show the legal and display names for each connected Xero file
- Show the Xero connection status of a client, which can then be re-enabled if accidentally disconnected.
- Lots of visual refinements.
- Ability to bulk post to a set date from the list page
- Logic within the schedule to check for early or late payments when checking to see whether the accounts reconcile with Xero - highlighted with a (i) icon.
- Optimisation of the bulk post function - it's much faster now.
- New Summary Movement Report enabling you pick a period across the practice or for a family group that shows the opening balances, new schedules, payments, debt reductions and closing balances across the various accounts.
- Updates to the Excel and PDF reports to handle the non-current, current and unexpired interest charge split properly.
- Reworked how we handle residual/balloon payments to enable you to specify when a balloon payment is expected; Defaults to the month after the last payment.
- Refined the methodologies of how the interest is calculated and apportioned over the life of the loan.
- You can now set the "Start of Financial Year" month both globally in practice settings and on a per schedule basis. This updates the annual summary tab and associated PDF and Excel exports.
- New functionality to enable the use of tracking categories in the interest and purchase journals.
- Journals you want to clear can now be voided rather than reversed, which is much faster.
- Lots of bugs squashed - too many to mention here.
- All search boxes can now search for multiple strings no matter the order. For example "Paul M" "Mur P" "P Murr" will turn up anything with each part of a string.
- A fixed map in the Client Map where the entity description wouldn't flow through to diagram.
- Changed the way client names are represented in the correspondence register and the associated emails and PDF's to "First Name Last Name" to make them more readable.
- General optimisations to the people and register pages to make them load much faster - more to come.
11 September 2017
Major release today:
- Handling of current / non-current combined with unexpired interest accounts;
- New improved purchase journal data entry with drag and drop and enhanced editing.
- Reworking of calculations to standardise between irregular and regular schedules;
- Improved logic associated with building schedules and application of icons and balances.
- Optimising of journal posting and balance retrieval from Xero.
- Fixes to the bulk posting of entries;
- Fix to schedule dates where payments are scheduled for the end of the month would change to the 28th or 30th for future months.
Integrations with Cloud Storage Providers
- Ability to connect to multiple providers at the same time – Options include SuiteFiles, Dropbox, GoogleDrive, One Drive, and Box.
- Once connected, you can link to / upload documents across various areas within AccountKit.
- You can define a default client directory either within each client or at the time of linking a document; Future linking of documents will then default to that client's own folder.
- Any linked documents can then be previewed or downloaded from within each tool.
Inter-Entity Reconciliation v2.0 [Alpha]
- This is a brand new replacement for the old Beta version. It's got a way to go the with the handling of exceptions and changes, but we were so happy, we had to show it off.
- Enables selecting of multiple accounts within each Xero file to reconcile against.
- Ability to switch quickly between any inter-entity loan with the group.
- Introduced a new process that upon first connection to Xero, AccountKit retrieves all transactions from the select Xero file; This is to enable a more optimised process with the IEL and EF tools + future tools in the pipeline.
- Brought back the Client Group link within the client group area of each client.
- Visual enhancements to
- The notices dropdown;
- The pop-ups for the correspondence register and enabling printing of the register entry in a printer-friendly format.
- The tooltips used in various areas of AccountKit
- People search drop down.
- Fixed issue where you could select the EF tool an archived account.
- Fixed a bug where a bulk export of EF schedules would fail with the error “sheet already exists with this name”.
1 August 2017
Minor release today:
- NowInfinity - A change to the API broke the connection for all clients; This has been fixed after liaising with the NowInfinity development team.
- XPM Sync - There was an issue that would sometimes cause the Partner and Manager fields not to sync; This has now been corrected - note that where the user assigned in XPM is of a lower authority than the user in AccountKit, the applicable field will remain blank upon syncing.
10 July 2017
Major release today:
Franking Account Register
- Ability to create and maintain a franking account register for all of your client's company's.
- Import your historical franking register detail via Excel
- Customise the default types of entries against the franking account.
- Output in Excel or PDF in your practice colours.
- Franking register can be selected from the client list
- For the full help file, follow this link: Franking Register Help
- Equipment finance - changed the default journal entry so as to not show on cash reports.
- Equipment finance - fixed issues with the PDF truncating the table at times.
- Equipment finance - added the ability to export to excel from the action menu within the schedule itself.
- Client Map - Fixed an issue in the proposed diagram where a proposed entity wouldn't appear in the left menu, nor the relationships appear in the right menu;
- Client Map - Fixed a bug where a change of a proposed entity wouldn't then update other associated name fields.
- Client Map - Fixed an issue where the deletion of a proposed entity would generate an error in specific circumstances.
- Client Map - Fixed a bug where selecting an entity and editing the relationships wouldn't show any detail.
- Simple Loan Calculator - Fixed an issue where changing the loan details would sometimes create a divide by zero error.
2 June 2017
Minor release today:
- Shortcut for date fields - previously you had to be very precise in the way that you entered any dates; Now it's flexible and more streamlined - for example, you could enter any of the following and when you tab out, you still end up with 09/06/2017.
- Various improvements to other input fields.
- Dynamic adding of affiliates or contacts upon save
- Select on tabbing out of a field.
- Start typing for the search dialogue to appear.
- Important documents register - Add "New" button so you can streamline adding multiple entries to the register in one sitting.
12 May 2017
Major release today:
- Ability to create a proposed, historical or current diagram; Proposed and historical diagrams don't update underlying client data whereas as current diagrams do.
- Current diagrams identify changes to underlying data giving the option to merge the changes to the diagram or save as a historical and add the changes to a new copy of the diagram.
- Ability to add various shapes which are fully customisable and able to have text added and connect with other entities.
- Ability to add new entities to the current diagram, which automatically flows through to your client list and XPM where connected.
- The new toolbar along the top to house the new shape tools along with new buttons to save, zoom in and zoom out plus add new entities.
- Correspondence register - Ability to enter a random phone number into the phone number field without having to add it to your client data.
- Mail register - Ability to enter a random address without having to first add it to a client or contact.
10 April 2017
Various Updates today:
- New Correspondence Type for taking Meeting Minutes has been introduced to the Correspondence register enabling you to track minutes, attendee and apologies.
- Under practice settings, you'll now find a new tab that's just for setting custom defaults on tools as they become available. There you will find the Auto-Entry setting for the equipment finance interest journals. You will also find the setting for altering the method for posting mail register entries.
- In the Mail Register (if you've turned it on in practice settings), you now have an option to enable a single mail entry to have a "received from" date, including "who from" and "actioned" date rather than a separate entry per piece of mail - entirely optional though.
- Moved the ATO lodgement report import into a background process to prevent the page from timing out; Any refreshing of the page would then re-initiate the import process resulting in an endless loop with no imports failing with no feedback
- From the People -> Clients action menu, you can now export a full list of all clients to Excel. Do NOT re-import the client information as it will cause you to duplicate your client list within AccountKit. Primary purposes are so you can do stuff with your client information such as an import into other software or even to provide a focal point for working out where to clean-up your data within AccountKit.
- The mail import template had gone MIA, this has been found and new fields added to cater for the new date received and received from fields recently introduced.
- Tightened up some user permissions issues where users with inappropriate authority levels could get into practice settings.
- Continued refinements to the XPM sync process.
10 March 2017
Major release today:
- Ability to create irregular repayment schedules
- Ability to export multiple selected schedules out to Excel at once (useful when exporting all schedules for a family group as a workpaper)
- Ability to do a bulk import of regular repayment schedules for ease of bringing in historical schedules for the practice.
- Expanded the detail of the excel report output from the EF list page so you can get a snapshot of either a family groups schedules or the entire practice.
- We now run an overnight process to check and update any out of balance figures in case new entries have been posted since last checked.
- Fixed the PDF output for schedules - much prettier now.
- Moved the "transactions include tax" checkbox to the purchase asset header.
- We now notify you if you try and post a journal into Xero and the period is locked; Previously it would just sit there and do nothing with no clue as to what's happened.
- Fixed a bug where the date control appeared behind the pop-up when creating a new relationship.
- Fixed an issue where a change of entity type would sometimes generate an error.
- Added Affiliates to the Correspondence Register contact field look-up.
28 January 2017
Various minor updates this past couple of weeks:
- An optimised version of the Client Map; Please note that historical maps may not work with the latest version of the tool due to a change in the underlying data, so may require deleting and rebuilding.
- Relationships can be added, edited or deleted directly from within the client map, which then updates XPM.
- Ability to output a high-resolution PNG from the list page for adding to your own documents;
- New fields for the Contract # and Registration #
- Various refinements to the logic for collating balances from Xero and the timing thereof; It's now much quicker when building a schedule.
- Print option on the list page.
- The correspondence register email used to appear to come from the person who had sent the message; This was creating issues with the email being blocked by email filter providers like Symantec and Trend Micro without adding to the domain SPF record; To fix this permanently, the email will now appear to come from "AccountKit <firstname.lastname@example.org".
Squashed a variety of bug
- On the equipment finance page, it would sometimes require multiple tabs between fields; These have all been fixed now in that it behaves as it should with one tab between fields.
- Changed the calendar control as there were issues with it not closing upon losing focus.
- Fixed an issue on the Client Detail page where an extra blank line would mean you couldn't search for a new address; Also stopped duplicate addresses appearing.
- Fixed the contact link pop-up in the Client Detail page.
- Various fixes to the sign-up / trial expiry and payment screens and processes.
- Fixed various XPM sync issues with the Partner & Manager.
15 January 2017
Various minor updates this past month:
- Added a new "Reference #" field to the mail register for entering tracking numbers for registered mail or packages that have been couriered.
- Added an option to the Equipment Finance where you can elect not to Post to Xero despite being connected to Xero; Most useful for Xero Ledgers where we don't want monthly journals and out of balance amounts.
- Added a toggle to the mail register to enable custom addresses to be added without requiring them to be first added to AccountKit.
- Users setup as archived upon sync with XPM can now be invited in by selecting each user, editing their details after which you can press the resend invite button.
- When setting up new relationships or upon editing them, you now have the option of setting the direction of the relationship within the pop-up.
- Various refinements to the trial timer and subscription methodologies via Integrapay including a period of grace and notification where there's been a failed payment.
- Added the ability to add a second version of your logo optimised for a dark background; To be used in future themes and an optimised version of the header to come in the coming months.
Squashed a variety of bugs
- Fixed a bug on the client edit page where the address field wouldn't clear properly upon delete, meaning it didn't appear that you could select any other addresses.
- Fixed a bug where the Date of Birth wasn't always syncing with XPM.
- Fixed a bug where each instance of an address in XPM would duplicate within AccountKit; (XPM has a separate address per entity/field, whereas we run a unified address list as seen in the practice settings), so the logic wasn't recognizing duplicates;
- Fixed a bug where various filters within the registers were defaulting to the prior day giving the appearance that some entries weren't being saved.
- Fixed a bug where the colour editor within Internet Explorer showed up as HEX codes.
15 December 2016
Various Minor releases today:
- Syncing of XPM users with AccountKit; Users not yet invited will be added as inactive users.
- Syncing with XPM will now bring in the Partner & Manager rolls
- Fixed a bug where a clients alternate phone number wouldn't show up as an option on the Correspondence Register.
- Fixed a bug where if you got to the Correspondence Register via the favourites menu, and changed message types, it wouldn't let you save.
- Expanded the active client brackets to broaden the number of active clients counted toward each plan.
- Fixed a bug where the timezone would be incorrectly captured on the register pages resulting in the filter filtering out the current day's information by default.
8 December 2016
This week there's been a major release and a series of minor improvements and bug fixes:
Major Release - Automating Equipment Finance.
- You now have the option within practice settings to set Equipment Finance schedules to auto-post overnight; In the morning you'll be greeted with a notification and a report identifying the work done overnight and a list of in balance and out of balance schedules. Now you know your equipment finance schedules are up to date ready for year end or monthly reporting for your clients.
- Refinements to the handling of journals and the visuals across the list schedule pages to make it more intuitive as to the status across your clients.
- Summary report accessible through the Action menu to see a breakdown of the manual and automated interest journal postings.
- Updated the method used to identify when a journal should be made available to post and associated balance dates calculated; Journals and balances are now only available one the payment date has passed to reduce the incidence of our of balance occurrences.
- You can no longer delete schedules once a journal has been posted; Instead you can only archive them.
- Added a "date of last payment" column which you can now sort by; Great for seeing upcoming schedules that are due to expire in the coming months.
- Client map optimisations are still in progress and expected to be completed soon.
- Refined and optimised the mail register address select to make it more snappy; Added switch to enable a custom address to be entered that isn't part of your client address list.
- Fixed a bug that causes the synchronisation with XPM to fail where there's a duplicate group.
27 November 2016
Various minor releases have taken place this last week:
New Tool - Flexible Loan Calculator
- This new tool can be found as an option under the loan calculator page or within the drop-down from the loan tool in the favourites menu.
- With this calculator you can solve for various variables and generate a finance schedule from it.
Major Release - Equipment Finance Improvements:
- Increased functionality to enable separation of unexpired Interest within liabilities and the associated checking of balances of both the loan and unexpired interest accounts each period.
- Enabled posting of interest journals from the list page along with summarising of loan balances and journals ready to post.
- Enabled settings to automatically post interest journals each night with practice settings. (Actual functionality in progress)
- Clarified the appearance of the starting point and opening balance for a pre-existing EF agreement within the payment schedule. Note that this has mean creating a new "Conversion Date" field which dictates where the journals commence and AccountKit starts checking loan balances.
- Fixed bug with the list of equipment finance schedules wouldn't sometimes update when a schedule is deleted.
- Fixed bug where if you selected any of the variable fields the schedule would clear.
- Various other minor visual and behavioural tweaks.
Client Map tool refinements:
- Optimisations to speed up the responsiveness of the Client Map. More to come over the coming weeks aw we work toward taking v1 out of Beta status.
- Exposed Affiliates and Contacts within practice settings so that the default colours can be set for the client map.
- Enabled creating of a relationship between a client and affiliate so that an affiliate can appear within the list of related entities with the client map.
- Billing system has been revamped through an integration with Integrapay enabling payments by Credit Card or Direct Debit. This will come to effect as at the end of November when all subscriptions older than one month will be notified to sign-up.
- You can now edit a client group name from within the client group itself under the actions button.
3 November 2016
Various minor releases have taken place this last week:
Client Map tool refinements:
- Fixed a bug where if you zoomed in or out using the [+] or [-] button then edited any settings, the magnify settings would reset.
- Fixed a bug where new lines added to the canvas would start out as white.
- Fixed a bug where if you have an apostrophe in a client name it would crash.
- Fixed a bug where in some instances client TFN's wouldn't appear.
- Refined issues where the horizontal width would vary despite entities being identical in width.
- Added delete and archive functionality to the client map list screen.
- Fixed a bug where the overnight refresh of client data failed.
- Presently pursuing a bug where clients no longer on your ASIC list still appear within AccountKit. In discussion with NowInfinity
Xero Practice Manager
- We're having ongoing System 500 errors when attempting to sync with XPM. It appears to be a broader Xero issue with the change over to AWS.
- You'll note some changes to the layout of the practice settings page; This is in preparation for the revamp of the billing system in the coming weeks.
- Fixed a bug where if you created an alternate company entity type (eg. Trustee Company), AccountKit wouldn't acknowledge the entity as a company and thereby hide the ACN field.
- Fixed a bug where if you connected your accounting practice to practice settings for Xero stats on the dashboard and also for use with the Equipment Finance it would break the connection.