The purpose of this integration to synchronise your client list in Xero Practice Manager with AccountKit and keep them in sync so you're not maintaining multiple client lists.
Before you start...
Before you make a start, there are a couple things you need to do and note:
- The initial connection should be initially completed by a user with Administrator Access in XPM to ensure there are sufficient rights for AccountKit to write back to XPM.
We love all things Xero as much as the next person, but there are some limitations with the XPM API unfortunately which you need to be aware of so as to not be taken by surprise when something doesn't synchronise quite the way you would expect. In most instances a change in XPM will be picked by AccountKit and vice versa, but here's what we've come across so far.
Information that isn't picked up in XPM when changed in AccountKit,Requires a manual update also to be completed in XPM.
- Creating a new group with no one within the group won't flow through.
- Setting up new business types in AccountKit will not update XPM automatically. Either enter the structure type in both XPM and AccountKit with identical details or just do it in XPM and force a full re-sync.
- Changing a client status from "Prospect" to "Client" is NOT allowed through the API, requiring a manual update within XPM after making the change in AccountKit.
Client fields that have no equivalent in XPM;At times we will add fields that have no corresponding equal in XPM - these obviously won't sync. For example:
- Client description - is a field where you're able to leave a short description as to what the role each entity plays within a family group client map. There is no equivalent in XPM.
- Business name - this is linked to the Business Name register, which has no corresponding link into XPM fields.
- Client notes - These are bespoke notes that are shared amongst entities across AccountKit and have no equivalent in XPM.
- Relationship differences - Generally speaking our relationships are identical to XPM, with the following exceptions
- Unitholder Relationship - In AccountKit you can create a unitholding relationship with applicable unit holdings and descriptor. When we sync with XPM, we create a "Beneficiary Relationship" within XPM.
- Shareholder Descriptor - this field simply enables you to name shares (such as Class A, Ordinary etc). This field does not flow back to XPM.
- Sibling Relationship - This relationship enables us to show where a client has a family relationship with another brother / sister. This relationship type is not available in XPM.
How do you use it?
To connect to Xero Practice Manager:
- First ensure that you have the appropriate user permissions within Xero Practice Manager. You need to have the authority ticked for "Authorise 3rd Party Full Access"
- Now go to the AccountKit User Menu then Practice Settings and select the "Integrations" tab.
- Hover over the logo and select the 3 dot menu with the option to connect to XPM. Press the connect button and follow the directions with logging in to Xero to authorisation the connection.
- Where you have more than one XPM authority, select the applicable XPM org and select ok
- Once you've been returned back to AccountKit and the icon has turned green, make sure to press the "Import All Clients" button to pull all client details across to AccountKit. Once synchronised you will be able to start using any and all of the tools with AccountKit associating any entries against the applicable clients.
|Import All Clients - Once you've synced the first time, you can use this button to force a check of all clients within XPM compared to AccountKit.
Update Clients - This option just looks for any client data that has specifically been flagged as changed within XPM and just brings in those changes.
To disconnect Xero Practice Manager:
- Go to Practice Settings under the user menu
- Select the "Integrations" tab.
- Select the 3 dot menu
- Select "Disconnect from XPM" to disable the integration.
|No data is lost when you disconnect from XPM unless you then connect to a different XPM org at which point you'll likely end up with an odd mismatch of client data. Not recommended.|
XPM Sync Errors
On the very rare occasion a sync with Xero will fail. When it does, sometimes the messages aren't terribly useful, but we've identified those that we've come across so far. It's important that when there is a failure, make sure to manually log in to XPM and make the XPM change there also.
- 503 Service Unavailable: Back-end server is at capacity - This usually means that XPM is actually offline entirely; So you'll need to wait until it's online again before updating any changes.
Wherever you see and click the Xero Practice Manager icon, the colour will identify its status and therefore any context-sensitive options.
- Selecting a grey icon will give you the ability to connect / link a client to the integration if available.
- Selecting a colour icon will give you a context sensitive menu in relation to that client and the associated connected integration.
|Practice Settings - Integrations||Head to practice settings for the steps to enable this integration.|
|Shared Elements (Eg. Action Menu)||Check out this link for various elements shared throughout the various toolsets.